In Episode #2 of the Life Is A Marathon show, I discuss the metaphor of being at the starting line of something new–it could be a race, a life change, starting a new business, taking classes to improve yourself–whatever it is, starting lines are exciting, but scary places. I talk about some of the reasons many people never approach the starting lines in their lives and I give you some ways to move passed those self-imposed road-blocks.
The primary reason for underachievement is that people don’t decide to be successful. – Brian Tracy
Do one thing every day that scares you. – Eleanor Roosevelt
- The Starting Line
- No matter how old you are or what you’ve experienced, your life is just beginning
- People don’t become successful because they don’t decide to be – Brian Tracy
- The hardest part of starting something is deciding to do it and taking the first step
- If you want to achieve what you’ve never achieved before, you need to do things you’ve never done before.
- You have more time in your day than you think you do
- How much time do you waste watching TV, surfing the net or social media?
- Brian Tracy’s E-to-E ratio says: Unsuccessful people spend most of their free time on entertainment, while successful people spend most of their free time on education
- Work 8 hours, sleep 8 hours, still leaves another 8
- Fastest climb of Mt. Everest: Pem Dorjee (2004) 8:10 – leaving 15:50 left to enjoy the view
- Devoting even 30 minutes, or 1 hour per day to personal development can change your life!
- I know you’re scared, do it scared
- Eleanor Roosevelt said you must do at least one thing a day that scares you
- Most fear is a fear of criticism, not failure – Napoleon Hill
- family and friends can be discouragers instead of encouragers
- Limiting beliefs are usually introduced by family and peer group
- bucket of crabs syndrome
- Surround yourself with people who are supportive
- Spend some time every single day listening to motivational content
- Know that you are going to make mistakes, have failures
- Let yourself off the hook right up front
- Mistakes and failures are all part of learning
- If you know this going into it, they won’t be as upsetting to you and you can move on
- I’m nervous and know I’m going to make mistakes with this podcast
- I know I’ll get better and build confidence with each episode I record
- Ready, fire, aim, fire again
- Love your life NOW
- Love, appreciate, and express gratitude for everything in your life right now
- Don’t say “when I am, or when I have.. my life will be better”
- That is operating from lack, rather than abundance
- You are spending negative energy thinking about what you don’t have
- You have everything you NEED right now!
- Your life will not BE great until you believe that your life IS great!
- Keep a victory log and success journal
- Look for those $.11 moments, the small victories
- Testimonial from Adam Crawford
Mentioned in this show:
- Brian Tracy – www.briantracy.com
- Napoleon Hill – Think And Grow Rich
- Javier Sotomayor – World Record High Jump – YouTube Video
- BruceVanHorn.com – Discover your potential. Push yourself to the point of failure!
- Run For Fun Cruise – www.runforfuncruise.com
- Adam Chandler Crawford – www.chandlercrawford.com
- Adam Crawford’s Facebook Message to Bruce Van Horn
- Subscribe on iTunes!
- Subscribe on Stitcher Radio!
- LIAM on Twitter: @LifeIs262
- LIAM on Facebook / LifeIsAMarathon
- Subscribe to the LIAM Mailing List
- Bruce Van Horn on Twitter
- Bruce Van Horn on Facebook
Please share this episode with your friends and followers. You may even embed a copy of the show directly on your website!