In Episode #2 of the Life Is A Marathon show, I discuss the metaphor of being at the starting line of something new–it could be a race, a life change, starting a new business, taking classes to improve yourself–whatever it is, starting lines are exciting, but scary places. I talk about some of the reasons many people never approach the starting lines in their lives and I give you some ways to move passed those self-imposed road-blocks.
The primary reason for underachievement is that people don’t decide to be successful. – Brian Tracy
Do one thing every day that scares you. – Eleanor Roosevelt
- The Starting Line
- No matter how old you are or what you’ve experienced, your life is just beginning
- People don’t become successful because they don’t decide to be – Brian Tracy
- The hardest part of starting something is deciding to do it and taking the first step
- If you want to achieve what you’ve never achieved before, you need to do things you’ve never done before.
- You have more time in your day than you think you do
- How much time do you waste watching TV, surfing the net or social media?
- Brian Tracy’s E-to-E ratio says: Unsuccessful people spend most of their free time on entertainment, while successful people spend most of their free time on education
- Work 8 hours, sleep 8 hours, still leaves another 8
- Fastest climb of Mt. Everest: Pem Dorjee (2004) 8:10 – leaving 15:50 left to enjoy the view
- Devoting even 30 minutes, or 1 hour per day to personal development can change your life!
- I know you’re scared, do it scared
- Eleanor Roosevelt said you must do at least one thing a day that scares you
- Most fear is a fear of criticism, not failure – Napoleon Hill
- family and friends can be discouragers instead of encouragers
- Limiting beliefs are usually introduced by family and peer group
- bucket of crabs syndrome
- Surround yourself with people who are supportive
- Spend some time every single day listening to motivational content
- Know that you are going to make mistakes, have failures
- Let yourself off the hook right up front
- Mistakes and failures are all part of learning
- If you know this going into it, they won’t be as upsetting to you and you can move on
- I’m nervous and know I’m going to make mistakes with this podcast
- I know I’ll get better and build confidence with each episode I record
- Ready, fire, aim, fire again
- Love your life NOW
- Love, appreciate, and express gratitude for everything in your life right now
- Don’t say “when I am, or when I have.. my life will be better”
- That is operating from lack, rather than abundance
- You are spending negative energy thinking about what you don’t have
- You have everything you NEED right now!
- Your life will not BE great until you believe that your life IS great!
- Keep a victory log and success journal
- Look for those $.11 moments, the small victories
- Testimonial from Adam Crawford
Mentioned in this show:
- Brian Tracy – www.briantracy.com
- Napoleon Hill – Think And Grow Rich
- Javier Sotomayor – World Record High Jump – YouTube Video
- BruceVanHorn.com – Discover your potential. Push yourself to the point of failure!
- Run For Fun Cruise – www.runforfuncruise.com
- Adam Chandler Crawford – www.chandlercrawford.com
- Adam Crawford’s Facebook Message to Bruce Van Horn
- Subscribe on iTunes!
- Subscribe on Stitcher Radio!
- LIAM on Twitter: @LifeIs262
- LIAM on Facebook / LifeIsAMarathon
- Subscribe to the LIAM Mailing List
- Bruce Van Horn on Twitter
- Bruce Van Horn on Facebook
Please share this episode with your friends and followers. You may even embed a copy of the show directly on your website!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
I love the inspiration in this–makes it seem doable to do the right thing!
Dave, thank you for taking the time to listen! Doing the right thing is almost always “doable!” It is certainly always “tryable!” 🙂
Another great podcast, Bruce! Thanks for the inspired sharing! :o)
Hi Bruce, I’m only 2 episodes in to the podcast andI think you got some good advice and I’m looking forward to catch up and I’m excited to see what I can find here.
Bruce, I just discovered you today. On the 2nd session and really enjoying it. I have struggled with depression/anxiety and then in September my dad went to be with the Lord. My mother refuses to be independent even though she is healthy and capable. She is looking at moving in with us. The positivity you provide is incredible and I believe your sessions will be valuable to me moving into the future.
Thank you for what you do.
Gwen, thank you! Let me suggest that you listen to the newest episodes and add in the older ones as you have extra time. I often talk about ways for you to interact with me, book sales, events, etc, that will no longer be applicable by the time you listen if you are working your way up from the beginning. Either way, thank you for listening!!