In Episode #3 of the Life Is A Marathon show, I review the book “Man’s Search for Meaning” by Viktor Frankl, taking the main points and applying them to our current lives. We explore the hard question many of us face at times in our lives: “What do we do when life doesn’t go as expected?”
When we can no longer change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves. – Viktor Frankl
He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how. – Friedrich Nietzsche
- Correction/Clarification of “Read, Fire, Aim” illustration
- This is an example of making a mistake, being able to realign and fire again!
- “When we can no longer change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” – Viktor Frankl
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- This book needs to be on everyone’s “must read” list!
- Overview of the book
- Horrible treatment of the prisoners
- No longer called by names, just their numbers
- What does one do when you have nothing left to lose but your ridiculously naked body?
- What happens when life does not turn out or give you what you expected it to?
- What do you do when you cannot control other people or circumstances?
- How do you face significant loss or setbacks in life?
- You must ask different questions
- What does life expect from me?
- What must I do to survive today?
- It’s easier to be the “victim,” to point fingers and blame than it is to take responsibility for your attitude
- You are 100% responsible for your thoughts and attitude
- E + R = O
- Peace comes when we let go how we think the world should be and find the truth of what is.
- Acceptance of your life as it is now is the key to peace
- Doesn’t mean you don’t work to change it
- Survivors are more “other” focused than they are “me” focused
- Focusing on helping and encouraging others strengthens yourself
- Believe that you are part of something bigger than you and your own desires
- Those who survived were not the strongest, meanest. They were the ones with a big WHY!
- “He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Mentioned in this show:
- Man’s Search for Meaning – Viktor Frankl
- Bruce’s reading list: www.brucevanhorn.com/reading-list
- Kent Julian – Speaking Coach
- Run For Fun Cruise
- You CAN Go the Distance! – Bruce Van Horn
- Subscribe on iTunes!
- Subscribe on Stitcher Radio!
- LIAM on Twitter: @LifeIs262
- LIAM on Facebook / LifeIsAMarathon
- Subscribe to the LIAM Mailing List
- Bruce Van Horn on Twitter
- Bruce Van Horn on Facebook
Please share this episode with your friends and followers. You may even embed a copy of the show directly on your website!